Join our team of open pollinated seed advocates!
Adaptive Seeds is a certified organic seed company located in rural Linn County, Oregon, about 45 minutes from Eugene and Corvallis. We grow more than 75% of the varieties we sell, and believe that open pollination encourages diversity and resilience. We are passionate about Bringing Biodiversity Back to farms and gardens by stewarding diverse seed varieties that we distribute through our website and regional seed racks. We see locally adapted seed as a foundation of the resilient local food systems that we are helping to create.
We are a small, farm-based business, and our offices are located at the farm and home of founders Sarah Kleeger and Andrew Still. Sarah and Andrew operate Adaptive Seeds along with a team that consists of a Seed Inventory / Quality Assurance Manager, an Order Fulfillment Manager, and two full time, year round crew members who rotate seasonally from field work to order fulfillment, with 1-2 additional part-time seasonal helpers as needed. We strive to provide a supportive and inclusive environment that values communication, respect, and collaboration.
General Employment Considerations
We are now hiring for the 2023 field season! Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled.
Adaptive Seeds Crew Member
View or download a description of this position
The Adaptive Seeds Crew Member will rotate seasonally from general farm field tasks, to processing/cleaning seed crops, to packet filling and order fulfillment support. At least one season of farm field experience, a love of physical labor, and an eagerness to learn about organic seed production is desired. Familiarity with plants, keen observational skills, and focused attention to detail are essential to this work.
• $16- $18 hr to start, DOE • Part Time or Full Time • Year Round • Number of positions available: 1 • Start Date: April 10, 2023 •
- Planting – hand transplanting, direct seeding with push-type seeders, and greenhouse sowing.
- Cultivation – use of standing hoes, wheel hoes, and occasional hand weeding.
- Other field work – construction of trellises and pollination cages, use of fabric for crop protection, etc.
- Irrigation – set-up, operate, and maintain overhead and drip irrigation systems.
- Seed work – harvest, processing, and cleaning many types of seeds, both wet and dry-seeded.
- Order fulfillment support – assistance in our office manually filling seed packets and fulfilling orders with exceptional precision, care, and efficiency.
- Cleaning and maintenance of facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- Exceptionally high attention to detail while maintaining proficiency and efficiency in a fast-paced, team oriented work environment.
- 1+ year experience farming organic vegetables required.
- Assembly, production, warehouse, or similar experience preferred.
- Capable of doing full days of physical work, including bending over for long periods.
- Self-motivated, disciplined, hard working, organized, responsible, independent and positive.
- Competence in performing basic mental math including addition, subtraction, spatial relations, estimating distance, and familiarity with grams and ounces.
- Good written and spoken communication skills.
- Willing to take instructions and accept feedback.
- Proficient in working independently and/or with others.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity for detailed seed cleaning and hand sorting.
- Competency and safety in use of special equipment, including walk-behind tiller, weed whacker, flame weeder, threshing and seed cleaning equipment.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible with a sense of humor and positive attitude.
- Skilled in working outdoors in all weather, including very hot, cold, rainy, etc.
- Able to lift, carry, and maneuver up to 50lbs.
- Ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle preferred but not required.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
- In addition to hourly compensation, Adaptive Seeds employees receive paid holidays; sick pay and paid time off; flexible scheduling; employee discounts; occasional plant starts and produce from the farm; educational opportunities; the potential to pursue personal projects on the farm.
- Dust, mold, pollen, and other allergens are present in the work environment.
- During seed packing season (winter months), position requires standing for long periods of time in our cool (55-60ºF) seed storage area with constant background noise (hum of dehumidifiers, climate control, printers, etc.).
- Must be able to tolerate a cat-friendly environment.
- We’re staying current regarding Covid-19 advisories. Protocols may change in relation to pandemic conditions and community needs.
- For further details about Adaptive Seeds, and the qualities we’re looking for in a teammate, please see the Job Opportunities page of our website to find our ‘General Employment Considerations’ document.
Adaptive Seeds’ stated mission is Bringing Biodiversity Back to agriculture through offering unique, open pollinated seed varieties. That said, we acknowledge that seed biodiversity is only one aspect of farm diversity in the US that has declined in recent history. Cultural diversity has also been systematically eroded from the agricultural landscape. Because of this, we are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in our organization, in our work with seeds, and in our agricultural community.
Adaptive Seeds provides equal opportunity to all individuals and will consider candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation and identity, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status; and without discrimination based on personal appearance, socioeconomic, marital, parental or caregiving status, or any of the previously listed characteristics or statuses.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Please send resume and/or relevant experience, cover letter saying why you want to work with us, and professional references to email@example.com. Please put the job title in the subject line. No phone calls or in person inquiries, please. Position is open until filled. We encourage anyone who wants to work with us and is interested in this position to apply regardless of whether they feel they meet the listed qualifications.